#10 Russian Red Ale
7.9 lb Pale 2-row malt
1 lb Melanoidin malt
1 lb Crystal 120L malt
8.75 oz Briess Special Roast malt
2 lb Rye malt
1 oz Centennial Hops (10.1%AA)(45 min)
2 oz Willamette Hops (4.9%AA)(5 min)
1 oz Saaz Hops (3.4% AA)(flameout)
1 vial WLP001 California Ale yeast
- Protein rest: 15 minutes @120F
- Saccharification rest: 1 hour @158F
- Sparge with 178F water to 6 gallons.
- Bring wort to rolling boil. Add 1 oz Centennial hops. (Total boil: 45 min.)
- After 40 minutes, add 2 oz Willamette hops (5 minutes to go).
- At flameout, add 1 oz Saaz hops. Allow to steep ~10 minutes.
- Brewed 4 July 2005. I intended a 2-step
infusion mash, but my thermometer was
acting up. A decoction mash was used,
- Kegged 20 July 2005. Force carbonating at
34F with 9 PSI. SG: 1.008
- 21 July, raised temp to 45F, 15 PSI.
- Tapped 17 August 2005 at Pennsic XXXIV.
Spicy rye notes detectable in aroma. First
taste - yummy!
Next time - 8.5 lbs pale malt, 1.5 lbs
melanoidin. Perhaps up the rye, too--maybe
This is a definite keeper!
- Cool wort, top to 5 gallons (if necessary), and pitch yeast.