#11 India Pale Ale
6.6 lb Cooper's Light Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Crystal 20L malt
1/2 lb Biscuit malt
2 oz Kent Goldings Hop pellets (5.5%AA)(45 min)
1 oz Fuggles Hop pellets (4.5%AA)(1 min)
1 tsp Gypsum
1 vial WLP004 British Ale yeast
- Steep grains in 2 gallons 150F water. After 30 minutes, remove grains.
- Add extracts, mix to dissolve. Bring wort to rolling
- Add gypsum, Goldings hops. 45 minutes to go.
- At 44 minute mark (1 minute to go), add Fuggles hops.
- Remove wort from heat. Top with cold water to 5 gallons. Cool as
quickly as possible to under 80F.
- Brewed 1 October 2005. SG: 1.049
- Racked to secondary: 7 October 2005.
- Primed and bottled 16 December 2005.
- 4 January, Elphinstone's notes:
"Heavier than I expected, and doesn't
seem that hoppy."
- Pitch yeast.