3.3 lb Briess Amber Liquid Malt Extract
3.3 lb Briess Gold Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb Munton's Light Dry Malt Extract
.5 lb Caramunich Malt (60L)
.5 lb Crystal Malt (40L)
2 oz Roasted Barley
1 oz Hallertauer Hops (4.8% AA) (45 min)
1 oz Tettnanger Hops (4.8% AA) (45 min)
1 oz Saaz Hops (3.4% AA) (1 min)
White Labs San Francisco Lager Yeast
- Brewed 13 June 2005. SG: ~1.068
- Racked to secondary 20 June 2005. SG: ~1.032.
- 21 June 2005: Explosive keg decompression. Saved ~4
gallons; boiled 1# extra light DME in 1 gallon water, used to top
- Re-racked 24 June. SG: 1.016. Began temperature drop of ~2
- Kegged 1 July. Force carbonating at 34F with 9 psi of CO2.
- Tapped 13 August 2005.
- Roasted barley nice, subtle. Next time, perhaps increase
Caramunich to 1 or 1.5 pounds. (13 August 2005).
- Bring 2 gallons water to a boil. Mix in light DME, cool to 155F and strike to
- Steep grains 30 minutes, then strain to boil kettle.
- Add 1 tsp Gypsum, remaining DME, and all LME. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Add Hallertauer and Tettnanger hops (45 min to go; 45 minute total boil).
- Add Saaz hops with 1 minute to go.
- Strain off hops onto 2-1/2 gallons cold water in fermenter. Let
cool to pitchable temperature, then pitch a 1/2 gallon active starter.
- Ferment at 55F for one week, then rack to secondary.
- Ferment in secondary for 3 weeks, then keg. Force carbonate to 2.5 volumes CO2.