#6 Altbier (Novus Alt)
6.6 lb Briess Golden Light Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb Coopers Plain Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Caramunich Malt (60L)
1 lb Caravienne Malt
1 oz Perle Hops (30 min)
1 oz Tettnanger Hops (30 min)
1 oz Tettnanger Hops (2 min)
1 tsp Gypsum
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)
2 pkts Nottingham dry yeast
- Steep crushed grains in 1.5 gallon 155F water for 30 minutes.
- Remove grains, "sparge" them to 5.5 gallons of wort.
- Add malt extracts, bring to a boil, and add gypsum.
- Add 1 oz each Perle and Tettnanger hops (30 minutes to go).
- At 15-minute mark, add Irish moss (15 minutes to go).
- At 28-minute mark, add 1 oz Tettnanger hops (2 minutes to go).
- Ferment at room temp (~65F) 1 week, then rack to secondary.
- Brewed 20 June 2005. OG: 1.060
- Racked 24 June 2005. SG: 1.012.
Placed in chest freezer, start temp 55F,
dropping ~2F per day.
- Racked to conditioning keg 2 July. FG: 1.010
- Racked to serving keg, 11 July.
- Force carbonating @34F w/9 PSI.
- Tapped 10 August.
A touch less bitter than I might have hoped, but
receiving high praise from all tasters.
- Ferment in secondary at cool temperature (~50F) 2 weeks.
- Force cool, pitch yeast.
- Keg, force carbonate to 2.5 volumes CO2.