#25 Quick Mild
6.125 lbs Pilsener Malt
1 lb Honey Malt
.5 lb Crystal 30L
.25 lb Chocolate Malt
1 oz Goldings hops (4.3%)(60 minutes)
1 oz Goldings hops (1 minute)
1 tsp Irish Moss
2 packets Nottingham yeast
- Mash grains at 155F for 60 minutes (strike water: 2 gallons @172F). Sparge to 7 gallons.
- Bring to rolling boil; boil 1 hour, hopping per schedule.
- Force cool wort, then pitch rehydrated yeast.
- Ferment in primary 4 days, then keg. Force carb 2 1.5 volumes. Serve after 1 week total.
- Brewed 13 May 2006. OG 1.044 (76% efficiency)
- Kegged 16 May 2006. Tastes malty (makes sense--it's not
done fermenting yet!).
- Tapped 20 May 2006. Shaken, so it's a bit yeasty; the
over-maltiness is mostly gone. Not hoppy enough for my
taste, but OK for style.
- Inaugural brew for the Barley-Shears Alehouse!
- 25 May notes: Still not hoppy enough for me, but the wife
likes it. Deep, deep red color; nice & nutty. Good woodsy
notes from the goldings. Worth tweaking again--cut the
chocolate malt, bump to .75 or 1 lb of Crystal.