#32 Sleep, Drunken Bacchus Barleywine
11 lbs Pale 2-row Malt
0.5 lb Crystal 40L
1/2 tsp Calcium Chloride (beginning of boil)
1 oz Bramling Cross Hop Pellets (5%AA)(90 min)
.5 oz Challenger Hop Pellets (7.5%AA)(90 min)
1 oz Fuggle Leaf Hops (5.8%AA)(15 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)
1 oz Kent Golding Leaf Hops (6.5%AA)(2 minutes)
1 oz Kent Golding Hop Pellets (dry hop in secondary)
2 pkts Nottingham Yeast
- Boil 90 minutes, hopping per schedule. Target volume = 3 gallons.
- Chill wort, pitch yeast.
- Brewed 1 July 2006. SG 1.073 (62% efficiency).
- 8 July 2006. Racked to secondary.
- 23 July 2006. Racked to tertiary.
- 4 August - Apparent mother-of-vinegar layer on top. Grr!
Time to boil all of the equipment...
- 19 August - Due to laziness, it wasn't dumped. Turns out
the "mother" layer was just dry-hops. It's OK, if a bit
bitter--a little aging, and it'll be fine. I'll rack it probably
tomorrow. At this point, I'd rate it a Strong Ale, if not a
- Mash in with 13 quarts 162F water. Hold 150F for 90 minutes.
- Add 7 quarts boiling water. Hold 168F for 10 minutes.
- Sparge to 5 gallons