#33 Holy Smokes! Rauchbier
7 lbs Pale 2-row Malt
3 lbs Smoked Malt
1/2 lb Caramunich Malt
1.5 oz Hallertauer Hops (4.5%AA)(60 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)
1 vial WLP-810 San Francisco Lager
- Boil 60 minutes, hopping per schedule.
- Chill wort, pitch yeast.
- Brewed 1 July 2006. SG 1.054 (71% efficiency).
- 8 July 2006. Racked to Secondary.
- 23 July 2006. Kegged with some Sparkolloid. SG: 1.010,
~5.8% a/v). A disproportionate amount of the smoked malt
may have been peat-smoked. I'll have to do my own
smoking from now on. Otherwise, a basically clean beer.
- 19 August. Drinkable, and deceptively strong. Still too
peaty, but not bad. Next time, definitely homemade smoked
- Mash in with 9.5 quarts 170F water. Hold 153F for 60 minutes.
- Add 5 quarts boiling water. Hold 170F for 10 minutes.
- Sparge to 6.5 gallons