#43 Smoke! Rauchbier, Mk2
7 lb Pale 2-row Malt
3 lb Homemade Apple-smoked Malt
.5 lb Caramunich Malt
1.5 oz Hallertauer Hops (4.5%AA)(60 min)
.5 oz Saaz Hops (4.3?%AA)(15 min)
1 vial WLP-885 Zurich Lager yeast
1 vial WLP-830 German Lager yeast
- Brewed 3 February 2007. OG: 1.054 pre-boil, but OG shifted
to ~1.038 after water addition post-boil bringing to 5.5 gallons.
- Racked 19 February.
- Kegged 16 April. Smoke flavor nicely balanced, but there's a
bit of yeasty fruitiness. Probably from having to lager a bit
warm... Not bad, still. It may yet age out.
- Add 8 qts boiling water. Hold 153F for 1 hour.
- Sparge to 7 gallons.
- Boil 1 hour, hopping as indicated
- Strike crushed grains with 10.5 Qts 131F water (target temp 123F) for 20 minutes.
- Chill wort, then pitch yeast.
- Primary 2 weeks at 50F. Diacetyl rest 3 days, then lager 3 months.