#56 Harrison's Wife's Ale, Again
5 lb 1oz Maris Otter Malt (some toasted; see below)
.5 lb Wheat Malt
.25 lb Oats, toasted
1 oz Kent Goldings pellet hops (5%AA)
2 packets Nottingham dry yeast
- Brewed 9 February 2008. OG 1.074; efficiency
~78%. Overall yield approx. 2.5 gallons.
- Crush grains. Add 2.5 gallons of "almost seething" water. Hold 154F for 1 hour.
- Toast 2# of the Maris Otter in 350F oven for 10 minutes. Toast 1/2# for 15 minutes.
Toast the oats for 10 minutes.
- Drain wort; add 2.5 gallons "almost seething" water to mash; hold ~158F for 1 hour.
- Boil first runnings 1 hour, adding .5oz of the hops at start of boil. Set this wort aside & reserve.
- Boil 2nd runnings as 1st, with .5oz of the hops. Combine worts.
- Allow wort to cool, then pitch yeast.