#66 Kitchen Kolsch
10 lbs Pale 2-row Malt
1 lb Munich Malt
1.5 oz Liberty pellet hops (4%AA) (60 min)
1.5 oz Liberty pellet hops (4%AA) (10 min)
1 tbsp Irish Moss (15 min)
1/2 gallon starter WLP-029 Kolsch Yeast
- Brewed 19 July 2008. OG: 1.066 (73% efficiency)
- Racked 10 August 2008.- Brewed 20 June 2008. Missed
target temp, hit 149F instead. Also missed volume, got 7
gallons. Worked out, tho--after topping to 5.75 gallons, OG
was 1.060, for 86% efficiency.
- Racked to secondary 6 July.
- Racked 26 July, put into lagering chest.
- Kegged 24 August 2008. This is going to be nice and crisp;
it'll appeal to the BMC crowd (probably be a good 'stepping-
- Tapped 27 September 2008 at Lochmere's Baronial Birthday.
This was indeed popular--5 gallons gone in 4 hours! Good
flavor, excellent mouthfeel, etc. The only change I might make
would be to tweak the hopping back just a notch--maybe 1.25
oz each bittering/aroma. Otherwise, a fantastic brew!
- Kegged 24 August 2008.
- Tapped 5 September. Quite tasty--cleaner than I would have
expected (probably due to lagering as much as anything else).
Fruity in the nose, a restrained maltiness, light-ish mouthfeel,
- Strike with 19 qts 163F water. Hold 154F for 1 hour.
- Mash out and sparge to 8 gallons.
- Boil 60 minutes, hopping as indicated.
- Chill wort, pitch yeast.