#71 Hanna's 70/- Scottish Ale
8.5 lbs Golden Promise Pale 2-row malt
3 oz Black malt
.75 oz Kent Goldings Hop Pellets (5%AA)(60 min)
1 vial WLP-028 Edinburgh Yeast
- Brewed 6 September 2008. OG: 1.038 (70% efficiency).
First use of new mash tun and manifold; probably explains the
lower-than-normal efficiency. Named for the remnants of
Hurricane Hanna, which came through town during the brew
day, and made for an interesting time.
- Kegged 21 September 2008.
- Strike with 13 quarts 170F water. Hold 158F for 1 hour.
- Prior to sparge, grind black malt to a fine powder and add to mash.
- Sparge to 7 gallons. (Stop after 1st gallon of wort is collected; boil this until reduced by half)
- Boil 60 minutes, hopping per schedule.
- Chill wort, pitch yeast.